This last week it seemed as if everyone I know was someplace warm. Can you blame them? We have had 20 days this month alone, with minus temperatures. And there are still a few days left in February. Sigh.
And, I have to admit by this time in the season I am getting tired of hearty fare. I am craving lighter, fresher, would be nice if it was served within earshot of crashing waves, kind of fare.
I whipped up this Mahi Mahi with Mango Jalapeno Salsa to brighten my spirits, put on some Jack Johnson, and uncorked a nice cold (man can’t believe I said that word) chardonnay.
Can a mere piece of fish compete with sand, sun and crashing surf? Well, it only took 20 mins to create, I didn’t have to wait in line for a table with scores of vacationers with screaming toddlers (there are always screaming kids at dinnertime on vacation), nor spend way too much money for one tiny 4 ounce portion of fish.
Works for me.
- 1 4-6oz piece of Mahi Mahi per person
- 3 Tbsp cornstarch
- 4 Tbsp olive oil, divided
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 Tbsp butter
- large pinch of fresh chopped cilantro
- large pinch of fresh chopped chives
- pinch of sea salt
- For the salsa:
- 1 fresh mango, peeled and cubed
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- juice and zest of 1 lime
- 1 small jalapeno, sliced very thinly (optional)
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- handful of fresh chopped chives