With this hot summer weather, I think everyone wishes they were on the French Riviera eating moules frites while sipping rosé, am I right? Not the usual mis en scène here, though. I often find myself caught in an endless cycle of summer salads, which I rotate depending on mood. However, I am really proud that I strayed from of my usual repertoire for these Mussels with Chunky Tomato and Broccoli.
Although the image most people have of mussels is that of a fancy French moules frites which can be quite pricey. Though mussels seem to be the cheapest find at the grocery store! I have to admit that rarely mussels even make the short list here, I just seem to forget about them. Fortune be, I stumbled upon these gems at my local grocery store.
For this version, we made a quick chunky tomato sauce with tons of shallots and garlic, then added roughly chopped broccolini, make it a complete meal with some crusty bread.
With the $7 price tag for a mesh bag of mussels and on the table well under 30 minutes why don’t we eat them every week? I’ll report back next week…..
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 3 large shallots, chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 15-oz. can diced tomatoes
- 1/2 c. dry white wine
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes (optional)
- Broccolini approx. 15 small to medium stalks chopped or 4 cups small broccoli florets
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 2 tbsp. freshly chopped parsley, plus more for garnish
- kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 lb. mussels, scrubbed and debearded
- Grilled or warmed bread