A few days ago, I was scanning Pinterest and saw this recipe. Since then, I could think of nothing else until I made it. That seems to happen a lot.
With a dip in temperature, it wasn’t so daunting to get the oven going again — it really was perfect timing. Also, we have been trying to make more hearty dinners, featuring vegetables, rather than adding something green to the side of the plate.
This “salad” works in that way: it’s not just a bunch of leafy greens disguised as dinner, that, would definitely have you reaching for a snack shortly afterwards. But, more satisfying and filling, with a nice complement of savory, sweet, spicy and salty.
And really, how often can you work figs into a dinner recipe? That was the clincher for me.
- 4 small sweet potatoes
- 5 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar (you can use a commercial rather than a premium aged grade)
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- 12 spring onions, halved lengthways
- 1 red chilli, thinly sliced
- 6 fresh and ripe figs, halved
- soft goat’s cheese, crumbled (optional)
- Maldon sea salt and black pepper