While my kitchen may be awash in various types of cookbooks, I rarely use them as intended. For me, they are more of a resource. I flip through the pages, linger over the fabulous photos, looking for inspiration rather than instruction — most days.
However, this recipe that Ina Garten created is cake perfection. I followed the instructions exactly as they were written. Well, with allowances for converting it to gluten free of course!
This Banana Crumb Cake with Chocolate Almond Streusel worked fabulously with only a minor change — all purpose gluten free flour rather than regular all purpose flour — that’s all. No weighing multiple flours, or adding gums or ground up seeds.
It was such a big hit, the whole thing was consumed by the end of the day. Maybe it should be called “not a crumb left kinda cake.”
- 1/4 pound (1 stick)unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 extra large egg, room temperature
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups mashed bananas (3-4 very ripe)
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose GF flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- Streusel Topping
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar, lightly packed
- 1/2 cup all purpose gf flour
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 4 Tbsp (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped (or more if you love chocolate)
- 1/2 cup sliced blanched almonds