I remember my first forays into gluten free baking, they always included xanthan gum. Most of the info on the web back then, in my new gf cookbooks, heck, even in the recipes on the side panel of the bagged gluten free flours included it.
I thought you couldn’t bake gluten free without it. Guess what? Sometimes you can! And, I am starting to think back to all those baked goods and breads that I made, could they have been better without the addition xanthan gum?
This Banana Bread with Lemon Sugar Glaze surely was. It is fabulously rich and moist, with a crispy exterior, and that extra punch of the Lemon Sugar Glaze, well that is just sheer perfection.
- 2 cups brown rice flour
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 very ripe bananas, mashed with a fork
- 4 large eggs, at room temperature
- 4 tbsp icing sugar (or regular sugar)
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced