Last week, while perusing Instagram, my daughter asked if I had ever made carrot cake. Well, sure a long time ago B.C. (before Celiac’s) I did. Back then I could bake just about anything with success, regular flour is… predictable. Gluten free, well not so much.
I love carrot cake, it’s a great way to hide vegetables in baked goods. Also, I do have a habit of freezing my baked creations, and muffins seemed to be easier to freeze per serving. I would have had to pre-slice the cake in order to freeze it, no thank you.
These are not just your average muffins either, they strike a nice balance between mandatory breakfast item and grab anytime of day kind of muffin. Further perfected with a nice crispy, slightly sweet and crunchy top, arguably the best part! Jammed packed with grated carrots and apple clearly ticks the box for healthly, and just enough spice to make them interesting.
Looking forward to breakfast tomorrow….
- 1 1/2 flax eggs, or 2 large eggs lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup mashed very rip banana, approx. 1 large
- 1/4 cup agave nectar or maple syrup
- 1 large apple, peeled and grated
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnanmon
- 1/2 unsweetened almond milk
- 1 heaping cup (packed) grated carrot, approx. 3 large carrots
- 2/3 cup gluten free rolled oats
- 1/2 cup almond meal
- 1 cup + 2 Tbsp all purpose gluten free flour
- 1 tsp or so of dark brown sugar per muffin
- 1/4 cup chopped unsalted walnuts
If you prefer to bake a loaf use a 8 x 8 pan and bake for approx. 45 minutes.