This Coconut Banana Loaf today is for my friend Lynda. Her son was recently diagnosed with many food allergies, and she is feeling a bit overwhelmed with all the restrictions.
Baking without gluten, eggs, milk, nuts, almond flour (which I love to bake with), also no corn or soy. Phew! That’s hard.
However, I do love a kitchen challenge…..And, had I not attempted this Coconut Banana Loaf, I wouldn’t have known how good Thai style coconut milk works in gluten free baking. It’s a great dairy replacement, rich and creamy somewhat like regular buttermilk, but better, because you can keep a can in the pantry for whenever you need it — don’t try that with buttermilk.
Now, I just wish they lived a little closer. 4 hours away, and in a different country won’t help me eat all this cake.
- 2 cups brown rice flour
- 1/2 cup potato starch
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 shredded coconut, sweetened or unsweetened
- 1 15oz thai style coconut milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 very ripe bananas, mashed with a fork
- 3 large eggs, beaten and at room temperature, or equivalent egg replacer or flax or chia "eggs"
- 4 tbsp icing sugar (or regular sugar)
- 1 lime, zested and juiced
- 1/4 cup shredded coconut, lightly toasted