I love summer, miss it already, however I am looking forward to SOUP!
Lots of soups, veggie, creamy, spicy (always need spicy) chunky and of course pureed, veggie girls favorite.
In cooler weather we have soup at least once a week.
It’s filling, it’s comforting, it’s low-cal (sometimes) and super easy.
Here’s the first of the season with many more to follow………….
Start by adding washed, chopped leeks to a large pot with some olive oil and salt and pepper. Stir around and cook for a few minutes.
Add carrots and celery, cook until leeks are soft but not brown around the edges. Meanwhile cut up some potatoes.
When the vegetables are nice and translucent, add some thyme. Cook for 1 minute then add the potatoes and some stock, either
chicken or vegetable, your choice (I used “no chicken, chicken stock”) really that’s what it’s called (for the veggie girl).
Simmer on Medium heat for approximately 10-15 minutes, until potatoes are fork tender. Turn off heat.
Puree in batches, adding to clean pot, when completed add cream and simmer for a few minutes to heat through.
Scatter some fresh parsley over top, place a handful of nice aged cheddar in the middle, if you a carnivore like my two guys some crispy prosciutto cubes too.
Paired with garlic bread and a nice crisp salad, here’s to comfort food.
- 3 Tbs olive oil
- 2 leeks, washed and chopped
- 3 medium carrots, chopped
- 3 ribs celery, chopped
- 1 tsp salt ½ tsp pepper
- 1 tsp thyme
- 5 large potatoes, cubed
- 2- 32 ounce cartons chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 cup cream
- 2 ounces (about a handful) per person of grated aged cheddar cheese
- 2 ounces (handful) of crispy prosciutto cubes
- Garnish of chopped parsley
- In large pot add olive oil and leeks, cook 2-3 minutes.
- Add carrots and celery continue to cook 5 minutes, until leeks are translucent and carrots and celery soft but not mushy.
- Add thyme and cook 1 min.
- Add stock and potatoes and cook until fork tender, about 10 mins.
- Puree in batches adding to clean pot.
- Add cream to pureed soup, simmer 5 minutes.
- Ladle into bowls garnish with parsley, grated cheddar and prosciutto (if using)