Luckily, everyone here loves coleslaw, and, in my quest to make sure we all get enough veg in our diet – that certainly helps. While fish tacos usually get a traditional savoy cabbage slaw – other meals are ripe for different versions of coleslaw.
The beauty of coleslaw is that you can julienne almost any vegetable and make a slaw – it doesn’t always have to start with leafy green or red cabbage.
Last night, we were all eager to dive into this Kohlrabi and Apple Slaw with Harissa Dressing. Crispy, crunchy and refreshing, paired with a simple grilled bone-in pork chop that was slathered in bbq sauce with an added handful of chopped thyme and rosemary, it made for a quick and easy weeknight dinner.
And, a nice change.
- 1 medium to large kohlrabi, peeled, sliced thinly and julienne
- 2 peeled and cored granny smith apples, sliced thinly and julienne
- 1/2 small red cabbage, finely chopped, about 4 cups
- 2 large carrots, peeled and coarsely grated
- 1/2 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro, leaves and stems
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 finely sliced serrano chile (optional)
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 Tbsp. unseasoned rice vinegar
- 3 Tbsp. harissa
- 1 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp. sugar
- kosher salt to taste