For those of you who know me well, this would be my detoxifying, low calorie, yet still tasty way to start out the new year.
As usual, I did enjoy eating all varieties of food displayed on a cheese board, and drinking my fair share of wine.
It was the holidays, after all.
For those of you who do not know me all that well, this is a yummy, easy soup with bacon.
It would have been lovely to make this soup with a nice smokey ham bone, but you know my veggie girl would have none of it.
So Bunny enjoyed her soup topped with garlicy croutons.
That child will eat anything that features garlic.
We had the croutons, and added a nice little heap of bacon smack dab in the middle of that soup as well.
Beautiful little crispy cubes of pancetta.
Because, you know everything in the world is better with a bit of bacon.
- 1 1lb package dried spit peas
- 8 cups water or broth
- 2 Tbs olive oil
- 1 onion, diced small
- 2 large carrots, diced small
- 3 ribs celery, diced small
- 2-3 large cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 2 Tbs chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 cup petit frozen peas
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- For the croutons:
- 1/2 baguette,chopped into small bite size pieces (I used Schar GF, works fabulous)
- 3 Tbs olive oil
- 2 large garlic cloves, passed through press
- 1/4 cup combined chopped rosemary and thyme