I was watching the Barefoot Contessa the other day while she made homemade tomato soup, not hard to do really. I started to wonder why I’ve never made it myself?
I think it is perhaps time to put away the childhood version of tomato soup from the can, We deserve a more refined, grown up version, and there’s also the fact that the little red and white can is definitely not gluten free.
This soup is clean eating at it’s best, with fire roasted tomatoes, onions, carrots, fennel, and roasted garlic . Perfect for these cool and rainy days we have been seeing more and more of. Also, with each passing day getting darker a bit earlier then the last. What better excuse is there for a big bowl of soup for dinner?
Tomato Soup with Roasted Garlic and Herbed Croutons, a crisp green salad, a glass of white wine.
How’s that for a grown up dinner?
- 1 head of garlic, cloves still in skin but separated from bulb
- 1/4 cup good olive oil
- 2 cups chopped yellow onion (2 onions)
- 1 cup medium-diced carrots, unpeeled (3 carrots)
- 1 fennel bulb, trimmed, cored, and medium-diced (1 1/2 cups)
- 2 (28-ounce) cans fire roasted tomatoes or good Italian plum tomatoes
- 4 cups chicken stock, preferably homemade
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup cream, I used 1/2 and 1/2 (best if room temperature)
- For the topping:
- 3 cups (1-inch) diced GF baguette cubed
- 2 Tbs thyme
- 24 to 30 whole fresh basil leaves
- 3 tablespoons good olive oil, plus more for serving
- Salt and pepper
- 2 thick cuts of pancetta diced, or a few strips of thick cut bacon diced (if using)