Every summer, we seem to gravitate to one dish, a lot. This year, the winner was any form of a watermelon salad. Mainly because it pairs so well with BBQ’ed meats and fish. And any dish that is both sweet, salty and spicy always has my vote. And, I am the one cooking, we eat what I want (well most of the time).
This version has cucumber, watercress and red onion. In the past I have added a thinly sliced jalapeno to the vinaigrette, for just a bit of heat, today I added a heaping spoonful of gochugaru (Korean red chili flakes) to the vinaigrette instead, which gives it a nice kick of heat with a hint of sweetness. I certainly have plenty, a while ago I purchased a 16 0z bag online, perhaps I was having spacial difficulties that day because 16 0z is a heck of a lot of gochugaru honey.
Now, what to do with the remaining 15 1/2 ounces…….
- 1 small seedless watermelon, cubed
- 1/4 red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cups watercress
- 8 oz (1 1/2 cups) cubed feta
- 1-2 Tbs gochugaru flakes (optional) could also use 1/8 tsp of cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 tbsp freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 tbsp Champagne or white wine vinegar
- 1 shallot, minced
- 2 tbsp chopped chives
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt