Years ago, when my husband and I took our very first trip to Italy we learned a tip about shellfish and cheese. We were staying in a little pensione on the Adriatic with a restaurant on the main floor that faced the ocean, so gorgeous it could have been a movie set.
- 1/2 cup store bought gf breadcrumbs, or leftover bread whizzed in food processor first
- 2-3 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1-2 garlic cloves, minced
- a pinch of salt
- 4-6 large shrimp per person, peeled and deveined, as dry as you can get them using paper towels or clean kitchen towel.
- 2 tablespoons of cornstarch
- large pinch of kosher salt
- 1 package of gf spaghetti
- 4-6 tablespoons olive oil
- pinch of red pepper flakes (optional)
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- juice of 1 large lemon
- handful of fresh parsley, chopped
Put a large pot of water on to boil.
In the meantime mix together the breadcrumbs, olive oil, garlic and salt.
Add more oil if needed for the mixture to resemble "wet sand"
Pour into a hot skillet and sauté until nicely browned 3 -5 minutes, set aside.
Place cleaned, deveined and butterflied shrimp in a paper bag, I use a lunch bag, add 1 large tablespoon of cornstarch and a pinch of kosher salt.
Close up bag and give it a good shake over the sink to coat the shrimp with a light dusting of cornstarch (could also use potato or tapioca starch)
Once your water is at a rolling boil ad a large handful of kosher salt, bring back to boil then add pasta and give it a good stir.
Cook stirring occasionally about 1-2 minutes shy of time suggested on package.
While the pasta cooks heat a large cast iron if you have skillet over medium high heat.
Once the pan is extremely hot add oil and heat again until really hot then add shrimp and cook each side until nicely pink 2-3 mins each side.
Once the pasta is ready grab a mug or measure cup and scoop out approx. 1 cup of the cooking water, then drain pasta.
Put the empty pot back on cooktop over medium heat and add 4-6 tablespoons of olive oil, heat through then add a pinch of red pepper flakes and the minced garlic.
Cook about 30 seconds then add the drained pasta and half of the pasta cooking water.
Toss to coat pasta evenly for about 1-2 minutes.
Turn off the heat and add the lemon juice and a good handful of chopped parsley.
Pour into serving bowl top with cooked shrimp and breadcrumbs and a bit more parsley and serve.