Sausage and Broccoli Rabe Soup
If you are anything like me, a tad bit lazy sometimes when it comes to dinner time. Then, this soup is for you.
Easy to source ingredients, no broccoli rabe at your market? Try another leafy green such as spinach or swiss chard instead, any kind of savory pork sausage will work, use up any half boxes of pasta hanging out in the pantry, and your choice for stock, chicken/veg/or bouillon all good options, honey.
A fast and fabulous recipe that puts dinner on the table in under 20 minutes.
No one will even guess how ridiculously easy it was.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 Italian pork sausages, mine were a spicy version/ or a sausage substitute
- Kosher salt, ground pepper
- 4 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 tablespoon fennel seed, if you sausage does not contain any
- 6 cups chicken/vegetable stock
- 6-8 ounces of gf short style pasta, I used Barilla gf elbows
- 1 bunch broccoli rabe, thick end stem discarded, chopped bite size
- Parmesan or pecorino for serving
- A squeeze of fresh lemon for finishing
- Maybe a few more red pepper flakes
In a large pot,heat olive oil over med-high heat.
Add sausage, breaking up with a wooden spoon to bite size pieces, cook approx. 8-10 mins, until mostly cooked through will continue to cook in soup.
Add garlic and fennel if using, cook another 1-2 mins.
Now add the chicken or vegetable stock and broccoli rabe, bring to a simmer.
While soup simmers, bring a large pot of water to a boil, add a handful of kosher salt to water then pasta.
Cook pasta 1 to 2 minutes shy of package directions. Drain and set aside.
To serve, scoop some pasta into bowls, ladle in soup and top with a generous amount of cheese then a squeeze of lemon.