With temperatures steadily rising this past weekend.
I was longing for salad that was crisp, cool, tangy, and just a tiny bit spicy.
A salad that would happily share a plate with grilled chicken, or perhaps fish.
Because, I was not involving the oven in the preparation of this meal – way too hot for that.
At first we were thinking citrus marinated seafood or grilled lemon thyme chicken.
Or, a nice fat juicy cheeseburger…….
What would you choose?
We opted for the latter.
It was our super tasty homage to summer.
So glad you are finally here.
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced thinly
- 1 orange bell pepper, sliced thinly
- 1 small jicama, peeled and sliced thinly
- 1 small fennel bulb, outer leaver discarded then sliced thinly
- 1 large granny smith apple, cored and sliced thinly
- 1 serrano chili, sliced thinly (optional)
- 1 cup fresh chopped cilantro
- Juice and zest of 1 lemon
- 4 Tbs olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3 Tbs chopped fresh chives
Mix all the vegetables together in a large bowl, toss well.
In small bowl whisk together the oil, lemon juice, zest, chives and salt and pepper.
Pour over salad, toss well.
Place on pretty serving platter.
Serve right away or chill in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.