I certainly have developed a newfound respect for cornstarch. It usually hangs out way in the back of that cabinet that houses the baking powder and various exotic spices rarely used – until today that is.
Sure, most of us already know it can be used to thicken soups, sauces and stew. But used alone to bread shrimp? This super neutral ingredient is perfect for almost anything! Certainly shrimp! But you also could use it for fish, chicken or vegetables.
I used a light dusting of cornstarch along with a few dry spices to create this Crispy Shrimp today. Perched upon a warm Asian Coleslaw and dinner was ready in less than 20 minutes. Now that is a winner of a recipe in my book honey.
- 6-8 shrimp per person, peeled deveined and butterflied
- 2 Tbsp kosher salt
- 3 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp cayenne
- 1tsp ground ginger
- 2-3 Tbsp oil for frying, I used grapeseed
- 2 Tbsp sesame oil
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 red pepper, thinly sliced
- 1/2 head savoy cabbage, thinly sliced
- 1/2 head red cabbage, thinly sliced
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and chopped fine (optional)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsp fresh ginger, minced
- 1 mango, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro
- 2-3 scallions thinly sliced
- juice of 1 lime