Some of the best dishes I have ever created have were developed, not because I followed the recipe correctly (I am really not good at that) but rather because I didn’t have all the ingredients listed, and had to just wing it. For all you recipe followers, I know that is a tough concept – just call me a rebel in the kitchen.
With summer gardens in full bloom for the season, this Summer Green Vegetable Salad is the perfect vehicle to use up whatever happens to be ripe in your garden now. I used haricort verts, tiny french green beans, though regular green beans work as well. In place of snap peas you could try snow peas, no feta cheese? Try Manchego or goat cheese, dill not your favorite? Use parsley and basil instead.
Follow the recipe, or create your own interpretation. Is today the day you want to be a rebel in the kitchen or not?
- 12 ounces fresh green beans, haricort verts if possible, cut into 2 inch pieces
- 1 bunch asparagus, cut into 2 inch pieces
- 1 cup sugar snap peas
- 1 medium zucchini, halved, seeds scraped out and then cut into 1/2 thin moons
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons grated shallot
- 1 orange zested then juiced
- 2 Tablespoons sherry, white wine or champagne vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon Dijon mustard
- Kosher salt and pepper to taste
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 1/4 cup fresh dill, chopped