Last week, one of my best friends went to NYC to visit her children attending college there, and I decided to whip up something for her to nosh on in the car.
Cookies were my first thought, but, my friend is more of a cake or quick bread sort of gal, with fall upon us, and apple season in full swing, I decided to go with this Apple Currant Bread.
It was moist, yet dense, and very portable, meaning easy to eat with one hand while driving into crazy Manhattan, or small enough to pull out of your handbag to nosh on, while enjoying your morning coffee.
It only takes 10 minutes to whip up, 2 big bowls and a spatula to wash, love that part, you don’t even have to drag out that big old stand mixer, unless you want to of course. Oh, and travel not required.
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 cup lightly packed light brown sugar
- 4 Tbs melted unsalted butter
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose gf flour (I use cup 4 cup)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 large peeled, cored and chopped apple
- 1/2 cup currants
- 3 Tbsp confectioners sugar