I had dinner all planned , in my head that is.
Had written a grocery list, for this and that.
Drove to the store.
However, the first item I see in the produce department are these gorgeous ripe figs.
Figs for dinner.
They are only in season from June until September, in our part of Upstate New York.
There is an unwritten rule if you see them at the market, you have to buy them.
Okay not really, I made that up.
But I just love them, adore them, actually.
So it’s a big salad with figs for dinner.
Yep, that’s dinner.
Well, you would also have to include some warm crusty bread, and a big cheese platter.
Also any cold cuts lurking in the fridge too.
That’s how we do salad for dinner.
- Serves 4
- 8 cups washed fresh arugula
- 1 - 4oz log of goat cheese (we like the one coated in fine herbs)
- 1/2 cup toasted pine nuts
- 12 fresh ripe figs, sliced in half
- 6 Tbs olive oil
- 3 Tbs champagne or white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- pinch of sugar
- zest of 1/2 lemon
- 1/2 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp pepper