As promised, here is my weekly soup recipe.
A hearty Tortilla Soup that is very easy to adapt to all tastes and requirements (a daily hurdle for me).
Start with some good chicken stock, or in my case “No chicken, chicken stock” really, that’s what it is called and it tastes just like chicken stock.
It can be chock full of black beans, if you like them of course.
Some corn, okay who doesn’t like corn? For the whole Mexican thing.
Tomatoes slow roasted in the oven , to add a nice smoky depth.
A jalapeno for just the right heat.
Also wouldn’t be Tortilla Soup without some crispy tortillas piled on top, right?
Add some chopped ripe avocado for creaminess.
To finish, a good squeeze of lime and a handful cilantro and scallions.
It won’t disappoint.
I made a vegetarian version (for my bunny), cooked chicken separately then added to the bowls of those who wanted (my carnivores of course).
- 6-8 roma tomatoes, halved
- 1/4 cup olive oil, divided
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 3 ribs celery, chopped
- 2 poblano peppers, chopped
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 1/4 tsp salt and pepper
- 3 large garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 large jalapeno, chopped (I included ribs and seeds)
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp paprika
- 2 cartons 32oz chicken or vegetable stock
- 2 cups corn, I used frozen
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
- Juice of 2 limes
- 3 boneless chicken breasts cut into bite size, optional
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 avocado diced small
- 5 corn tortillas cut into strips and tossed with olive oil and salt baked at 400 degrees for 4-6 mins until crisp and just beginning to brown (watch carefully they burn quickly)