About once a year my husband invites some of his co-workers over for dinner, to discuss their upcoming business endeavors. This time it was six men, my husband and myself.
I had weeks of notice, so I wasn’t really worried about the menu. With that many men (none vegetarian) naturally, I veered to steak. Specifically, huge strip steaks with a little savory rub and then seared on the BBQ, placed on top of sliced heirloom tomatoes with dollops of parsley-arugula chimichurri on top. Warm tiny new potatoes tossed with butter, parsley and truffle salt, rounded out with a crisp arugula salad.
Normally, with such a heavy meal, I would serve fresh seasonal berries and whipped cream. Here that seemed, well, a bit girly. We needed a manly dessert.
Now anything that involves rum seems manly I think. So, we whipped up this fabulous Captain Morgans Spiced Rum Cheesecake with a warm Rum Sauce, because who ever says no to more rum?
- Prepared graham cracker crust, I used kinnikinnik gluten free
- 1 -32 oz container of ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup al purpose gluten free flour
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup spiced rum, I used Captain Morgans Black
- zest of 1 large orange
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees, line a 9 " springform pan with parchment paper and grease well.
- Press in graham cracker crust firmly on bottom and up the sides a bit.
- Add container of ricotta to stand mixer (or use hand held) and beat on med/high for 3 mins.
- Reduce speed to medium, add sugar, flour, then eggs one a time.
- Now add vanilla, rum and orange zest mix until just incorporated.
- Pour into prepared springform pan, place it on a sheet pan and slide into the oven for 1 hour.
- Remove from oven, note that the middle may jiggle a bit, will firm up overnight in fridge.
- For the Warm Rum Sauce:
- 1/2 cup spiced rum
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 large orange, zested and juiced
- 2 1/2 tablespoons of brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- Place all ingredients in a small saucepan and bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 5 mins.
- Serve warm over cheesecake.